Policy Officers/Assistant Manager, APS Level 6 and Executive Level 1, Science and Commercialisation Policy
Job no: 494258
Employment type: Non-Ongoing - Specified Term, Ongoing
Categories: APS Level 6, Executive Level 1
About the team?
Australia’s Chief Scientist provides high-level independent advice to the Prime Minister and other Ministers on matters relating to science, technology and innovation. The Chief Scientist is an advocate and champion for Australian science internationally and domestically. The Chief Scientist is also a communicator to the general public, with the aim of promoting understanding of science and its contribution to our economy and society.
The team supports the Chief Scientist in ensuring advice to government is strongly and rigorously evidence-based, and underpinned by the best available and most up-to-date science. The team also provides research, analysis, and briefing material to support the Chief Scientist and contributes to the production of evidence-based input and advice to government, including reports, meeting agenda papers, occasional papers, briefing notes and other written and data-related material.
Our ideal candidate
The successful candidates will have:
- demonstrated ability to work productively both in a team and independently
- excellent written, verbal communication and problem-solving skills
- well-developed skills in research and analysis.
What you will do
As a Policy Officer or Assistant Manager, you will conduct desktop research across a broad range of science and technology topics and prepare written and oral reports on findings for the Office of the Chief Scientist. Additionally, the Assistant Manager position is a great opportunity for science leadership and working with a small team of Policy Officers to achieve key outcomes.
Other responsibilities for these positions will include:
- reviewing and synthesising published literature
- assisting in drafting correspondence, briefs and other written material
- representing the Office of the Chief Scientist in Government and non-government fora
- liaising with government and non-government stakeholders, including multidisciplinary expert working groups, as required
- managing the Commonwealth Science Council and Forum of Australian Chief Scientists
- managing the production and presentation of horizon scanning reports for the Commonwealth Science Council.
Postgraduate qualifications in a science and/or technology discipline is preferred.
This recruitment process is being used to fill ongoing positions. It may be used to fill non-ongoing positions for up to 18 months with the possibility of extension.
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format) #LI-TW1
In addition, the application process will also ask what classification level(s) you would like to be considered for.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Anne-Marie Lansdown, email@example.com or (02) 6102 8322.
Learn more about the department
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend