About the team?
The National Measurement Institute (NMI), a division within the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, is Australia's peak measurement body responsible for biological, chemical, legal, physical and trade measurement. NMI is internationally recognised as one of the world’s leading national metrology institutes. Our 330 staff deliver cutting edge measurement services and research from unique facilities across Australia.
NMI’s Humidity Standards Group maintains Australia’s primary measurement standards in Humidity and trace moisture, providing Australia’s highest level calibration services that support the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) calibration and testing laboratories across Australia. The team is currently developing new capabilities to meet the demands of Australian industry, such as trace moisture standards for the gas-pipeline, LNG and electricity industries.
For more information about NMI, visit our website at www.measurement.gov.au.
Our ideal candidate
As the successful candidate, you:
- are an enthusiastic experimental scientist with strong practical skills and excellent time management and communication skills
- are a fast learner who actively seeks to acquire new skills and will be unafraid to take responsibility for disassembling complex and expensive equipment as part of troubleshooting and problem solving
- will have a flair for using the full range of your physics and engineering skills to critically evaluate and validate measurement results using different techniques
- enjoy identifying opportunities for innovative, practical solutions and system improvements
- will aspire to becoming the recognised national expert in this field
- will have demonstrated familiarity with the operating principles and limitations of a range of measurement instrumentation
- will have demonstrated ability to quickly and effectively identify and solve problems with complex apparatus, including demonstrated basic electronic and mechanical construction skills
- will have demonstrated high-level oral and written communications skills.
What you will do?
Working with the leading researcher in the field in Australia, you will:
- deliver timely, high quality calibrations of dewpoint meters, hygrometers and trace-moisture analysers under an ISO17025 quality system, and at the highest levels of accuracy achievable internationally
- liaise with clients and develop effective relationships with key stakeholders in industry, the research community, and international standards laboratories
- use your broad physics and engineering skills to contribute both to the development of new calibration systems in the laboratory and to ongoing efforts to increase automation and improve efficiency
- be actively involved in contributing to the ongoing research to understand, quantify, and reduce measurement uncertainties and validate new experimental techniques.
In the longer term, you are expected to develop deep and comprehensive knowledge of the field of humidity measurement and of the operation, design and limitations of a wide range of relevant commercial and research equipment.
The successful candidate will hold a PhD in Experimental Physics, with a strong electrical, thermodynamics and mechanical component.
This recruitment process is being used to fill a current ongoing Science & Technical Level 5 or 6 position commensurate with relevant skills and experience. A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing Science & Technical Level 5 and 6 vacancies should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised. Non-ongoing opportunities may be offered for an initial period of up to 18 months with the possibility of extension (maximum 3 years).
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Dr Ferdouse Jahan via email@example.com or on 02 8467 3570.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.