About the team
The Economic and Analytical Services Division (EASD) is a dynamic team which supports the department and its Ministers to enable globally competitive industries. We are a high profile economic analysis area known for collaborating with partners across the department, other government agencies and industry on issues relating to industry policy, innovation policy and the resources sector.
EASD publish objective economic analysis under the banner of the Office of the Chief Economist (OCE), to contribute to informed public debate. Key reports produced by the OCE include the Resources and Energy Quarterly, the Australian Industry Report, and the Australian Innovation System Report.
A vacancy currently exists for an Assistant Manager/Senior Analyst within the Resources Economics section. This team is primarily responsible for conducting analysis on Australia’s major mineral and energy commodities, and publishes regular forecasts of these commodities in the Resources and Energy Quarterly.
Our ideal candidate
The successful candidate will have:
- demonstrated credibility as an economist/analyst (preferably with experience in resource and energy commodities)
- an ability to develop productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- strong written and verbal communication skills
- a commitment to a culture of teamwork, excellence and continuous improvement
What you will do
- operate in a fast-paced, stakeholder-focused environment
- be part of the team’s leadership group and will be expected to make a contribution to its strategic direction
- actively promote the activities of the section and build relationships across a wide range of stakeholders
- enjoy the autonomy to lead projects and provide quality advice on complex policy issues.
A tertiary qualification in econometrics, economics or statistics (ideally at post-graduate level) and relevant work experience will be considered highly desirable
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
These positions require a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant(s) will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This recruitment process is being used to fill a current ongoing Executive Level 1 position. A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing Executive Level 1 and APS Level 6 vacancies should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised. Non-ongoing opportunities may be offered for an initial period of up to 18 months with the possibility of extension (maximum 3 years)
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
If you wish to discuss this opportunity further, please contact David Thurtell, Manager, Resources and Energy Economics via email@example.com or 02 6102 9844 or Tim Bradley, General Manager, Economic Advice Service, via firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 6102 9877. You are encouraged to visit www.industry.gov.au/oce to learn more about the OCE’s publications and scope of work.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.