About the team
The Department of Industry, Innovation and Science consolidates the Australian Government’s efforts to drive economic growth, productivity and competitiveness by bringing together industry, energy, resources, science and skills.
The Industry Transition Branch has responsibilities in several policy priorities for the Australian Government, including civil space, cyber security, building and construction, metals, defence, commercial/civil aerospace, marine, and industry structural adjustment.
The Building Industry Section provides advice on a broad range of policy priorities impacting the building and construction industry, such as the implementation of the National Construction Code (NCC), fire safety, aluminium cladding, standards and conformity, and security of payments.
The Section also provides secretariat support to the Building Ministers’ Forum (BMF), a ministerial body comprising Commonwealth, State and Territory Ministers responsible for building and plumbing policy and regulation. The BMF is chaired by the Minister for Small and Family Business, the Workplace and Deregulation, the Hon Craig Laundy MP.
Our ideal candidate
We are looking for an Assistant Manager (Executive Level 1), with experience providing policy advice and managing teams.
You will have the opportunity to contribute to the development and implementation of government policy, by utilising the following:
- analytical and conceptual skills to help develop evidence based policy responses
- the provision of timely and accurate advice
- good communication, including the articulation and writing about complex information clearly and succinctly
- strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain productive working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- excellent team management skills
- organisational skills, including an ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment, manage competing priorities and effectively meet tight timeframes
- an understanding of government processes
Experience writing ministerial briefs and correspondence is essential.
What you will do
As an Executive Level 1 in the Building Industry Section, your responsibilities will include:
- providing policy and technical advice on building and construction issues to the Minister and Government
- supporting and representing the Australian Government on various intergovernmental forums and committees, including, but not limited to the:
- Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) – the standards writing body responsible for the development of the NCC
- Senior Officers’ Group – policy advisory group to the BMF
- Building Regulators’ Forum (BRF) – the regulatory advisory group to the BMF.
- providing secretariat support to the BMF, in addition to policy advice to the BMF Chair
- working with a wide range of stakeholders to meet policy objectives, including peak industry bodies, state and territory governments, and across the Australian Government
- producing written materials such as ministerial briefs and correspondence
- supervising and leading junior staff on projects.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This position is being used to fill a current non-ongoing Executive Level 1 opportunity for up to 12 months.
A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing EL1 vacancies, should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised.
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Rodney Harris on Rodney.Harris@industry.gov.au or (02) 6243 7698.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.