About the team
The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) is a Council of Australian Government (COAG) standards writing body that is responsible for the development of the National Construction Code (NCC), comprising the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA). The ABCB is a joint initiative of all three levels of government in Australia. We are a credible and influential organisation, with a mindset and capability that engages with and educates our stakeholders on a diverse range of contemporary issues. We have an agile workforce, possessing leading edge technical knowledge. Coupled with a high performing workplace, we deliver stakeholder and industry focussed outcomes through a user-centred approach. For more information about the ABCB, visit our website www.abcb.gov.au.
The role of Director – Information Technology, Business Transformation Team is at a senior level in the organisation and oversees the ABCB’s information technology infrastructure, website development and the management of NCC production. The role also involves the management of a small team which is comprised of skilled individuals from a diverse information technology background. The role also involves contributing to the broad management responsibilities of the organisation along with ensuring that information technology technical and operational responsibilities are delivered to meet the expectations of the ABCB’s many government and industry stakeholders.
Our ideal candidate
The ABCB is seeking an individual with demonstrated leadership capability along with the following skills, experience and attributes included:
- high level of skills in information technology project management
- sound understanding of government information technology policies, such as Digital First, Cloud Computing, Accessibility, Security
- good knowledge of structured content utilising XML and schemas
- high level of knowledge in website design and delivery for all devices
- good knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure
- high level of ability in staff management
- familiarity with government procurement processes is desirable.
What you will do
Manage the continual development, delivery and maintenance of new and existing systems through:
- Provision of high level advice to the ABCB Executive in relation to the ABCB's IT environment
- Managing the delivery of and transition to new systems
- Managing procurement processes for the acquisition of goods and services.
Manage, develop and support production of the National Construction Code and other ABCB publications through:
- Management and development of NCC authoring and delivery systems
- Editorial and administrative management of content within the Quark Publishing platform
- Management, development and output of all NCC formats for production including proofing of NCC content
- Provision of support and training for XML authors.
Manage provision of ABCB websites through:
- Ensuring adherence to Government policies such as Digital First and Accessibility requirements;
- Continual development of functionality and maintenance of sites utilising Content Management Systems (CMS) such as Sitecore;
- Management of the production and upkeep of the NCC Online site.
Oversight the provision of ABCB’s stand-alone infrastructure
Manage a small information technology-focussed team.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
These positions require a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
Relevant ICT tertiary qualifications are desirable
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Trent.Bourne@abcb.gov.au or on 02 6213 7132.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application please contact the Recruitment Team at email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.