About the team
The People and Planning Branch within the Corporate Division of the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science is responsible for a number of key functions including managing People Strategy, Development, Performance and Wellness; centrally managing our recruitment functions; providing workforce planning support and analysis; providing strategic oversight and management of the inclusion and diversity agenda; and providing specialist planning, project management and governance advice and services.
The Planning and Governance section contributes to good governance across the department through developing and implementing a range of strategic frameworks to support business planning, risk management, project management and performance reporting, and supporting the department’s governance committees. The section plays a key role in fulfilling the department’s performance management accountabilities under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability (PGPA) Act 2013, including developing of the department’s Annual Report and Corporate Plan.
Our ideal candidate
The person we are looking for will have:
- high-level analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to provide strategic advice, including to the Executive and senior managers
- proven ability to develop and implement initiatives, including the capability to plan, manage change, improve performance and manage competing priorities
- effective written and oral communication skills with the ability to adapt messages to different audiences and influence stakeholders
- high-level attention to detail
- a team focused attitude with the ability to build positive working relationships within the team, with senior managers and with other key stakeholders
- an understanding of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability (PGPA) Act 2013 and the enhanced Commonwealth performance framework.
What you will do
In this role, you will undertake a range of activities to support good governance and well-informed, timely decision making across the department. The primary deliverables of the position include the Corporate Plan and Annual Report; coordination of the Business Planning process and associated Traffic Light Reporting and strategic advice and departmental governance and planning.
The successful candidate would also play a critical role in implementing an integrated business planning approach. This may include:
- ongoing development and implementation of the department’s business planning, risk and performance reporting activitie
- analysing business information to identify interdependencies and ensure that information is effectively communicated between stakeholders and broader impacts are considered
- preparing briefs, reports and other communications for the Minister, the Executive and senior managers on a range of issues
- providing effective and timely support to the Director and General Manager to deliver section and branch outcomes.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This process is being used to fill a non-ongoing Executive Level 1 role for nine months with the possibility of extension or the role becoming permanent. A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing similar vacancies should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised.
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Nina McKeon via firstname.lastname@example.org or 6102 8903
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application please contact the Recruitment Team at email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.