About the team
Questacon’s aim is to increase awareness and understanding of science innovation through inspirational learning experiences. Our primary goal is to provide quality and relevant interactive exhibitions and programmes that present science and technology in contemporary contexts.
The outcomes of this position are visible each day in the galleries and public spaces of Questacon, around Australia and internationally. Our exhibitions aim to delight, engage and inform visitors of diverse ages and backgrounds. This position is highly collaborative with links across the organisation as well as research institutions, the education sector and the science engagement sector. This team also provides expert advice to other areas of Questacon on matters relating to science content and science communication.
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate will have extensive experience and qualifications in the museum/science centre/cultural sector in content and exhibit development with a focus on providing evidence based real-world practical solutions. They will be a creative, highly motivated and proactive team player also capable of self-direction. They will be able to deal with tight deadlines, changing priorities and complex negotiation environments in a positive and professional manner.
What you will do
The Exhibit Developer works under the direction of the Senior Exhibition Developer and collaboratively alongside designers, producers and educators in an interdisciplinary team environment to conceptualise and develop interactive science, technology and maths exhibits. You will:
- be an advocate for the learning outcomes and visitor experience of the exhibits you develop
- engage in practical creative problem solving to translate science into physical interactives, have the ability to use these solutions to develop and prototype exhibit concepts and evaluate and collect data on whether they meet their intended goals and the broader goals of the organisation
- communicate and negotiate amongst an interdisciplinary team environment, balancing advocacy against compromise and fostering positive, collaborative relationships
- develop and maintain relationships with external scientists and experts as needed in the course of delivering exhibitions for the organisation
- research and develop clear, engaging educational science communication messages for a generalist audience ranging from early childhood through to secondary students and adults (this includes writing content for graphic panels, screen-based multimedia and exhibition support materials).
The successful candidate will ideally hold a tertiary qualification in science, technology, design, engineering or maths, and/or have significant experience in the development of exhibits within the museum/science centre/cultural sector.
Prior to commencing, successful applicants will be required to:
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Doug Newton-Walters on 02 6112 9704 or via Doug.Newton-Walters@Questacon.edu.au.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application please contact the Recruitment Team at email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.