About the team
The Workforce Planning, Financial Strategy and Performance Reporting Section is responsible for a body of work including resource modelling, workforce planning and program performance reporting.
The team has responsibility for the financial management of programs and forecasting, they also undertake workforce planning and resource modelling of program assessments and contract development. These activities can have variation in assumptions and timing therefore significant impacts on the division’s financial results if not managed closely with the relevant program managers.
Our ideal candidate
We are seeking an ongoing Executive Level 2 to lead our Workforce Planning, Financial Strategy and Performance Reporting team. The position requires an experienced professional, who will be responsible for overseeing the strategic workforce planning, resource modelling, production of performance reports as well as financial analysis and management.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Experience in managing a team of 6 or more staff.
- Sound financial management experience working in a financial management/strategy environment.
- Demonstrated experience and/or understanding of workforce planning concepts and resource modelling.
- Demonstrated experience in producing monthly reporting to stakeholders.
- Strong communication and management skills to organise program reporting activities and projects.
- Ability to apply sound judgement on important matters.
- Ability to encourage, motivate and support reporting team members.
- Have a strategic perspective but a keen eye for detail, and the ability to engage in complex problem solving and issues management.
- A good understanding of Government finances.
- Ability to build and maintain close constructive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to be responsive to workloads and changes in priority as they arise.
- Work with limited supervision and to take responsibility in managing a team and delivering on delegated tasks in a timely manner.
What you will do
The successful candidate will:
- manage a team of high performing staff located across various state offices to ensure timely and accurate delivery of requirements
- manage the strategic workforce planning, resource modelling and maintenance of resource data collection tools
- coordinate with the Business Grants Hub program delivery on-boarding and engagement teams
- manage Performance Reporting information requests and direct data analytics that supports effective program governance and timely decision making
- work closely with the General Manager to deliver work within tight deadlines
- provide oversight of engagement and collaboration with program managers and delivery leads to provide timely advice on cost and achievement for current programs while monitoring the progress of programs delivered through the external resource provider
- support quality assurance of the external resource provider including contract management, monthly accruals, reconciliation of hours used and associated procurement and/or recruitment activities
- manage the division’s yearly budget process, monthly variance reporting, ASL monitoring and other financial reporting to the Executive Committee in consultation with AusIndustry Corporate finance team
- manage the coordination of weekly reports along with a range of reporting on performance targets and achievements for various projects and programs
- manage and quality check the preparation and delivery of insightful program reports and streamlined dashboards
- provide expert advice to the program data steward on various reporting obligations
- cultivate effective record keeping practices and business improvement strategies.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
The successful applicant will be required to undertake and maintain a baseline security clearance.
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Patrick Bashiri on (03) 9268 7511 or via Patrick.Bashiri@industry.gov.au
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application, or need this in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.