About the teams
The Finance Group provides a range of essential services and advice which enables the department to deliver its strategic objectives. Our services and advice covers financial management, the budget process, procurement, property, travel and fleet management. In these areas, we develop and manage the department’s processes, policies and operational services consistent with the relevant Australian Government framework.
Vacancies currently exist in the following teams:
- Strategic & Analytical Services (APS6) – Responsible for the provision of finance support to assist divisions with financial management issues, including budgeting, financial analysis, reporting and the provision of advice.
- Budgets and Reporting (APS6) – Responsible for the provision of budget advice to departmental stakeholders. Liaison with Department of Finance on budget matters and maintenance of estimates in Central Budget Management System. Preparation of financial reports to meet both internal and external reporting obligations.
- Financial Accounting Team (Treasury) (APS5) – Responsible for the department’s financial reporting activities, taxation and treasury functions. This includes the formulation and provision of advice on accounting policies, preparation of financial statements and submission of taxation returns.
Our ideal candidate
The successful candidate will have:
- an understanding of the Australian Government’s financial framework (including the Commonwealth Procurement Rules) and the accrual accounting principles in a public sector environment
- demonstrated experience in financial management processes, preferably in the public sector environment, and the use of financial management information systems (for example, TechnologyOne)
- proficiency with MS Office Suite including Microsoft Excel and Word
- an ability to develop productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- strong written and verbal communication skills
- a commitment to a culture of teamwork, excellence and continuous improvement
- high levels of attention to detail
- a customer service focus.
What you will do
In the Budgets and Reporting Team and Strategic and Analytical Team, you can expect to work on the following:
- Assist with the preparation and monitoring of budgets and financial performance in consultation with Divisions.
- Month end processes including commitment reporting, accruals, variance analysis, reconciliations and distribution of reports.
- Provide advice and support on financial queries, including procurement and compliance matters.
- Participate and contribute to process improvement activities to enable consistencies and efficiencies to be achieved across the spectrum of corporate services provided to divisions.
- Build relationships across a wide range of stakeholders.
- Deliver other financial services as directed.
In the Financial Accounting Team you can expect to work on the following:
- Undertake the bank reconciliation function for the department and shared services clients.
- Assist in the research and analysis of technical tax issues and financial management and accounting issues.
- Assist in the preparation of financial accounts and other financial information in accordance with Accounting Standards and the Government’s financial framework.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports to meet both internal and external reporting obligations.
- Monitor and analyse accounting records and other financial data to assess accuracy, completeness and conformance to reporting, procedural and control requirements.
A Diploma or Bachelor Degree in commerce, accounting, finance, business or a related field will be highly regarded.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
These positions require a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This recruitment process is being used to fill a number of current ongoing APS Level 5 and APS Level 6 positions. A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing APS Level 5 and APS Level 6 vacancies should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised.
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to the role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) achievements within the last 5 years in a work environment that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
In your application, please indicate which team and APS level you wish to be considered for.
For more information regarding these opportunities, please contact Barbi Jones Barbi.Jones@industry.gov.au, Ph: 6102 9590 for the Financial Accounting and the Strategic and Analytical Services roles and Karen Incher Karen.Incher@industry.gov.au, Ph: 6102 8349 for the Budgets and Reporting Team role.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application, or need this in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.