About the team
The National Measurement Institute (NMI) are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic and high-achieving organic analytical chemist to join our team. The Chemical Reference Values team develop and apply high-accuracy reference methods, deliver a chemical proficiency testing program, and produce certified reference materials. NMI has state-of-the-art instruments and modern laboratory facilities. Our activities are accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities, as well as through regular review by international peers.
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate will:
- have demonstrated ability to plan and manage projects in an accredited laboratory
- have advanced computer skills including instrument systems and data analysis
- perform high-accuracy chemical measurements requiring a sound understanding of the fundamental chemistry of the measurement procedure
- have a rigorous attention to detail.
Experience in analytical or physical chemistry, especially mass-spectrometry, is highly relevant.
What you will do
Working as part of a project team, the successful candidate will:
- produce and characterise matrix certified reference materials and proficiency testing samples
- perform data analysis and prepare reports of proficiency testing and other projects
- develop and apply high-accuracy reference methods, primarily for organic compounds in complex environmental and biological matrices
- operate, maintain, optimise and troubleshoot sophisticated instruments, especially GC/MS and LC/MS instruments; including high resolution MS, MS/MS and isotope-ratio MS
- engage stakeholders and communicate scientific information in a format appropriate to the audience.
The successful applicant will have a degree in science, with a chemistry major.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This recruitment process is being used to fill an ongoing Science and Technical Level 6 position. A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing Science and Technical Level 6 vacancies should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, resume and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Raluca Iavetz via Raluca.Iavetz@measurement.gov.au or on 02 9449 0178.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application, or need this in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment Team at email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.