About the team
The Ministerial Liaison Office (MLO) is responsible for managing the day to day parliamentary operations between the department, portfolio agencies and the portfolio Ministers’ Offices. The MLO provides parliamentary advice, quality checking of the ministerial briefings and correspondence, coordination and liaison functions, including local and business administration support for the Parliamentary Document Management System (PDMS).
In addition, the Portfolio Appointments and Engagements team within the MLO develops and maintains policy, guidance and manages reporting for statutory and non-statutory appointments to portfolio boards and committees. It is a central point of contact for departmental staff for all portfolio appointments and engagements related enquiries. The team is a small but cohesive unit of highly skilled officers who are passionate about what they do.
The role will also include assisting the department’s Cabinet Liaison Officer. The successful applicant will be required to assist with all aspects of the Portfolio’s Cabinet business.
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate will have:
- coordination expertise and a sound understanding of government processes, or the demonstrated potential to develop these skills
- an effective interpersonal style, drive, attention to detail and sound judgment
- experience with parliamentary and cabinet processes, and particularly in the engagement with ministerial offices and other Government agencies
- excellent written and verbal communication, liaison and stakeholder engagement skills
- ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships.
What you will do
The Appointments/Assistant Cabinet Liaison Officer supports the Assistant Manager, Appointments and Engagements, and contributes to implementation and continuously improvement of the portfolio appointments and engagements processes, including all related reporting. In addition, the role will support the Cabinet Liaison Officer in provision of timely advice on the preparation and submission of Cabinet documents, managing documents and liaising with the Cabinet Secretariat within the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and other departments’ Cabinet Liaison Officers.
The successful candidate will:
- coordinate and work closely with policy areas and secretariats across the department to ensure consistent and compliant processes for appointments to the portfolio boards and committees
- assist with advise on statutory and non-statutory appointments and engagements policies and procedures including appointments to an established or a new committee
- manage the register of portfolio appointments and engagements
- compile portfolio reports on appointments and vacancies
- assist with end-to-end cabinet processes of cabinet submissions and the handling, circulation, monitoring and recording of cabinet and other documents
- contribute to specialist advice on cabinet processes to stakeholders.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a Negative Vetting 1 security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This recruitment process is being used to fill an ongoing APS Level 5 vacancy. A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing APS Level 5 vacancies, should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, resume and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide a combined response to the questions of 700 – 1000 words:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements that you are proud of
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Irina Kalachov via firstname.lastname@example.org or on (02) 6102 9852.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application please contact the Recruitment Team at email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.