About the team
The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) is a Council of Australian Government (COAG) standards writing body that is responsible for the development of the National Construction Code (NCC), comprising the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA). The ABCB is a joint initiative of all three levels of government in Australia.
The ABCB is a credible and influential organisation, with mindset and capabilities that engage with and educate our stakeholders on a diverse range of contemporary issues. We have an agile workforce, possessing leading edge technical knowledge. Coupled with a high performing workplace, we deliver stakeholder and industry focused outcomes through a user-centered approach. For more information about the ABCB, visit our website www.abcb.gov.au.
The NCC Management and Product Certification team’s primary responsibility is the development and management of NCC content. It also provides input into the development and maintenance of referenced building and plumbing standards, as well as the administration of the CodeMark and WaterMark product certification schemes.
The Senior Project Officer - Plumbing role will report to the Director – Plumbing and will work within a small team responsible for the development of the PCA, ensuring that the technical and operational responsibilities are delivered to meet the expectations of the ABCB’s many government, industry and community stakeholders.
Our ideal candidate
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate skills in project management and stakeholder engagement and possess a sound understanding of the performance-based PCA and its referenced documents (such as AS/NZS 3500).
Strong written communication and presentation skills and the ability to provide detailed technical advice in relation to the PCA and plumbing regulatory matters are essential. Formal qualifications and experience in plumbing, hydraulic design, product certification or a related field will be highly regarded.
What you will do
Within the role of Senior Project Officer – Plumbing, you will:
- provide well resolved and high quality advice on plumbing regulatory matters to the Director - Plumbing
- provide input into the development of the PCA and contribute to the development of technical documents referenced by or developed to support the PCA
- provide written and verbal advice on plumbing matters to external stakeholders (both industry and government) and contribute to the promotion of the PCA and the ABCB’s plumbing activities through the development of education and awareness resources and presentations for online and face-to-face delivery at national events
- work collaboratively with the WaterMark Certification Scheme administration team
- engage with key industry groups and regulatory authorities
- manage projects in accordance with the ABCB’s work program, including:
- research projects commissioned by the ABCB for the future development of the PCA including implementation of agreed outcomes
- engagement with State and Territory regulatory agencies in order to resolve jurisdictional variations to the national PCA and to consolidate all technical plumbing requirements into the PCA
- assisting the wider ABCB Office with projects such as NCC harmonisation, improved NCC readability and digitisation.
To be found suitable for this position, candidates must have:
- a sound understanding of the performance-based PCA and its referenced documents
- experience in technical writing, stakeholder engagement and project management
- excellent analytical, writing and presentation skills
- the ability to provide high-level technical advice in relation to the PCA and plumbing regulatory matters.
The position is based in Canberra and may involve occasional interstate travel.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This positions require a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This recruitment process is being used to fill an ongoing Executive Level 1 position. A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing Executive Level 1 vacancies should they become available within 12 months form the date advertised.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, resume and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words)
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Tom Roberts via Tom.Roberts@abcb.gov.au or on (02) 6276 1064.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application, or need this in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.