Senior Project Officer - Building, Executive Level 1, Australian Building Codes Board
About the team
The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) is a Council of Australian Government (COAG) standards writing body that is responsible for the development of the National Construction Code (NCC), comprising the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and the Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA). The ABCB is a joint initiative of all three levels of government in Australia.
We are a credible and influential organisation, with a mindset and capabilities that engage with and educate our stakeholders on a diverse range of contemporary issues. We have an agile workforce, possessing leading edge technical knowledge. Coupled with a high performing workplace, we deliver stakeholder and industry focussed outcomes through a user-centred approach. For more information about the ABCB, visit our website www.abcb.gov.au.
The NCC Management and Product Certification team in the ABCB has primary responsibility for the development and management of NCC content, technical input into the development and maintenance of referenced building and plumbing standards, as well as management of the CodeMark and WaterMark product certification schemes.
Our ideal candidate
The ABCB seeks an individual with the following skills and attributes:
- A sound understanding of the performance based NCC, its referenced documents the operation of product certification schemes.
- Highly motivated and well organised, with excellent time management skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Sound judgement and decision making abilities.
- Able to prepare high level advice.
- Able to manage key internal/external stakeholder relationships.
- Able to manage competing priorities and strategic directions to achieve outcomes in line with agency goals and objectives.
- Be professional, reliable and able to work independently.
What you will do
Within the role of Senior Project Officer – Building, you will:
- Oversee and coordinate the ABCB’s participation on standards writing body committees, including those of Standards Australia, for the purpose of ensuring documents produced for referencing in the NCC are consistent with regulatory needs and in accordance with COAG best practice regulation principles, including the need for regulation impact assessment. This includes interacting with standards writing bodies, Commonwealth, State and Territory regulatory agencies and industry bodies at both a strategic and operational level.
- Manage the CodeMark voluntary building product certification scheme through interaction with the scheme administrator and accreditation body.
- Provide specific and high level advice relevant to the functions of the position to the ABCB Executive, Board, its technical committees and external stakeholders.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This recruitment process is being used to fill a current ongoing Executive Level 1 position. A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing Executive Level 1 vacancies should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised.
The position is based in Canberra and may involve interstate travel.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, resume and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide:
- an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limit your response to between 300 and 500 words)
- tell us about three (3) professional achievements within the last 5 years that you are proud of (limit your total response to between 300 and 500 words).
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Kevin Newhouse via Kevin.Newhouse@abcb.gov.au or on (02) 6213 7290.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application, or need this in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.