About the team
Questacon – The National Science and Technology Centre and its programs are administered within the Australian Government Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.
Questacon’s vision is a better future for all Australians through engagement with science, technology and innovation.
Questacon has a small IT Team that builds and maintains strong connections across the whole organisation through delivery of high level client services for the Questacon internal network, ensuring best practice for business systems. The team leverages from advanced and cutting edge technologies including Cisco Meraki network infrastructure, petabyte data storage system and VMware technologies. The Questacon IT Team is responsible for providing support to Questacon's critical internal network that services a public facing organisation open 364 days per year.
What you will do
The IT Systems Administrator will play a key role to ensure Questacon's IT experience achieves a consistently high level of client service while maintaining strong connections internally and externally, to provide highly functional Questacon business systems.
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal IT Systems Administrator will have:
- experience in VMware virtualization technologies including ESXi and Veeam
- experience in administering network systems
- experience in providing technical support over phone and remotely
- capability to work within a small but highly engaged team environment
- a high level of communication skills
- demonstrated self-awareness, personal drive, integrity, professionalism and a proven commitment to APS Values, Code of Conduct and WHS principals
- experience in administering Point of Sale systems would be beneficial
- experience in administering data storage technologies such as SAN, NAS and Fibre channel would be beneficial.
Prior to commencing, successful applicants will be required to:
- undergo a ‘Working with Children’ Police Check; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Vulnerable People Check (Background Checking) Act 2011; and
- hold a current driving license.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This role includes an on call roster and afterhours work as directed.
This recruitment process is being used to fill a current ongoing APS Level 5 position. A merit pool may be established to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing APS Level 5 vacancies should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, resume and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description.
Please limit your total response to between 300 to 500 words for each criterion.
- Provide an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role
- Describe three (3) professional achievements within the last five (5) years that you are proud of
- Explain why you are interested in the role and what you can offer us.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CV must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Enamul Islam, ICT and Corporate Applications Manager at Enamul.Islam@questacon.edu.au or on (02) 6222 2234.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application, or need this in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.