Questacon – The National Science and Technology Centre's aim is to increase awareness and understanding of science, technology, engineering, maths and innovation through inspirational learning experiences. One of Questacon’s objectives is to raise science awareness through the provision of a range of engaging and educational science and technology experiences in a national public institution by delivering a vibrant Centre with well targeted exhibitions, programs and activities underpinned by excellent customer service. The Learning Experiences section plays a key role in delivering this objective.
Within this section the Learning Programs Manager will contribute strongly to this objective by managing a series of unique and educational public science programs and events within the Centre and Canberra region.
Expectations of your role
- Develop and manage the Learning Programs strategic plan, deliverable activities, budgets, recruitment, training, WHS, reporting and other compliance activities while leading and inspiring a team with full-time, part-time and casual employees.
- Ensure the high quality and integrity of the content developed and delivered by the Learning Programs team.
- Inspire, explore and develop new program opportunities to increase Questacon’s audience.
- Manage the team and their associated programs including science shows, inquiry learning spaces, early childhood programs, adult offerings, and special activities.
- Work collaboratively with the different sections of Questacon in order to ensure the success of the Learning Programs activities and to support the work of other sections.
- Develop and maintain networks/partnerships of science communicators and educators and participate in local and national science promotional events.
- Work within Australian Government guidelines (e.g. Workplace Health and Safety, Code of Conduct).
Skills and Abilities
- Tertiary qualifications in science, science communication or education and experience in the delivery of public engagement activities in the arts, cultural institution or science centre sector.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people management skills with high level capacity to inspire staff in the delivery of programs.
- Highly developed planning and program management skills, with experience in recruitment, training and leading teams to develop and achieve strategic plans and meet deadlines working under limited supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver new audience engagement activities that lead to business growth and sustainability and to identify situations warranting the advice of senior colleagues.
- High level written and oral communication skills and proven liaison with a wide range of people (including teachers, contractors and leaders from business, industry and government).
Questacon in Context
Questacon is a division of the Australian Government Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources. Our vision is ‘a better future for all Australians through engagement with science, technology and innovation’. We deliver on that vision through our mission ‘to excite and motivate people through inspiration learning experiences’. Science Communication is at the heart of what we do.
We have five strategic priorities:
- Operate Australia’s National Science and Technology Centre across two facilities to deliver hands on science engagement.
- Deliver on our National Presence Strategy and engagement role to build STEM capacity.
- Facilitate community STEM engagement through national networks and flagship activities.
- Provide leadership in Australia’s informal learning sector of science centres and museums and actively contribute to the work of the national cultural institutions.
- Focus on remaining a high performing organisation through our passionate, creative and imaginative people.
As an employee of Questacon your manager, peers and team members are all jointly responsible for helping us to meet those priorities and make Questacon an amazing place to work.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian citizens.
Prior to commencing, successful applicants will be required to:
- Undergo a ‘Working with Children’ Police Check
- Obtain or hold a current registration issued under the Working with Vulnerable People (Background Checking) Act 2011.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. In no more than 750 words, provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. You should try and align your application to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Anita Beck, Senior Manager, Learning Experiences at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0481 130 533.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion and Capability team at Diversity@industry.gov.au for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please contact email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application. Alternatively please refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the department.