About the team
The purpose of the Australian Space Agency is to transform and grow a globally respected Australian space industry that lifts the broader economy, inspires and improves the lives of Australians – underpinned by strong international and national engagement.
The 10 year plan for the Australian civil space industry is outlined in the Advancing Space: Australian Civil Space Strategy. The Strategy outlines four strategic pillars and seven national priority areas which set a path to triple the size of the national space economy and create another 20,000 jobs in Australia by 2030. Responsibilities of the Agency include: providing national policy and strategic advice on the civil space sector; coordinating Australia’s domestic space sector activities; leading national and international space engagement; supporting the growth of Australia’s space industry and the use of space across the broader economy including through the Government’s flagship space program, the Moon to Mars initiative; administering space activities legislation and delivering on our international obligations; and inspiring the Australian community and the next generation of space entrepreneurs.
In conjunction with the Australian Public Service (APS) Code of Conduct and Values, the Agency has specific values that guide how we conduct our business both internally and externally. It is expected that all staff of the Agency closely identify and embrace these values.
Please visit www.space.gov.au to learn more about the Agency and understand our values.
Our ideal candidate
The successful applicant will be an experienced Executive Assistant, responsible for providing high level executive and administrative support to the Head of the Agency, as well as the Agency more broadly, and will demonstrate excellent organisation and office management skills. You will work as part of a small, high performing team within a complex and fast-paced environment.
You will have strong demonstrated experience in the following:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a proven ability to generate and/or edit high-quality correspondence and briefings, with close attention to detail;
- Ability to work to a very high professional standard in a high-pressure, complex environment;
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and circumstances;
- Be part of a team that fosters a culture of continuous improvement, teamwork, integrity and respect;
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal, collaboration and negotiation skills;
- Be able to work effectively within a government organisation, including having knowledge of and compliance with legislative, financial and administrative frameworks, government decision making process and Agency guidelines and regulations (or ability to develop those quickly); and
- Embrace and work by the Australian Space Agency values.
What you will do
- Come to work with a friendly, can-do attitude that adheres to the Agency's values.
- Diary management for the Head of Agency, including prioritising, triaging and responding to urgent requests.
- Respond to phone and email enquiries.
- Prepare meeting briefs, event briefs and talking points for the Head of Agency, and/or delegate where appropriate within the Agency for timely input.
- Liaise with senior level executives, and their offices across industry and the research sector to arrange meetings, collate agendas and triage correspondence on behalf of the Head of Agency.
- Regularly liaise with the offices of Departmental Executive and the Minister's Office where appropriate.
- Manage travel and expense acquittals for the Head of Agency.
- Work with the Executive Office team to deliver KPI's in line with the Agency's Strategy.
- Provide VC and IT support for Executive meetings.
- Monitor parliamentary workflow and reporting for the Executive.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a minimum baseline security clearance to start and the need to obtain a Negative Vetting 1 level security clearance once in the role.
This role is being offered on a full-time, ongoing based in the Agency’s Adelaide head office.
Some domestic travel is required in this role.
This role is being advertised at the APS5 and APS6 level. The successful applicant will be placed at the level commensurate with their skillset.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, résumé and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Aligning your responses with the above job description, provide an explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (please limit your response to 750 words)
You are also required to provide your current résumé with your application. (Résumés must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Therese Breen on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion and Capability team at Diversity@industry.gov.au for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please contact email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application. Alternatively please refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the department.