About the team
The National Measurement Institute (NMI), a division within the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources is Australia's peak measurement body responsible for biological, chemical, legal, physical and trade measurement. Our vision is to provide measurement policy, science and regulation that underpins the economy and well-being of Australia.
The Food Chemical Laboratory (FCL) Section (NMI, Port Melbourne) is a team of staff providing a unique and extensive range of chemical testing in food. The Food Chemical Laboratory operates with a combination of APS and contract staff in order to meet the testing requirements of Government clients and stakeholders as well as private industry clients. We provide analytical services and technical expertise for both private and government clients across the environmental, food and health sectors, enabling them to meet their business, research and regulatory compliance needs.
An experienced Analytical Chemist is required to co-ordinate the day to day activities, including staffing resources, consumables, test results reporting and quality systems. The position will supervise a small team of analysts. Additionally taking a leading role in capability development and process improvement for the Analytical Services Branch whilst actively contributing to activities and forums across the NMI.
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate will have contemporary experience in food testing and hold relevant qualifications in science/analytical chemistry. They will have demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team in a high demand, high quality and service based laboratory operation with complex equipment, methods and resource requirements, with a focus on food chemical analysis.
Our ideal candidate will possess the following skills and capabilities:
- Demonstrated ability to supervise a team that provides chemical testing in a high demand, high quality, and complex environment. The team leader will need to demonstrate their ability to co-ordinate and prioritise activities related to the efficient operation and maintenance of the Agilent 7700X ICP/MS and Perkin Elmer 8300DV ICP/OES and general chemical testing
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and work hours of the team to maximise laboratory efficiency and meet sample turn around
- Demonstrated ability to train staff in the maintenance and operation of ICPs and chemical testing techniques based on document methods
- Demonstrable ability to improve methods related to ICP/MS and ICP/OES and general work practices to deliver higher productivity and efficiency
- Demonstrated excellent communication capabilities with a history of communicating effectively at multiple levels across an organisation
- Demonstrated leadership in engendering a culture of respect, flexibility, adaptability and continuous improvement to enable agile responses to new demands and improve laboratory processes and service outcomes
- Commitment to a workplace culture that values respect, inclusion and diversity with a strong focus on all aspects of Work Health & Safety including psychosocial wellbeing
- Ability to work safely according to procedures and site protocols with a proven understanding of adherence to WHS procedures and use appropriate safety equipment associated with the operations of the section
- In depth understanding of operating under Quality System principles.
- A Bachelor of Science degree and 10 years relevant experience.
What you will do
This full time position is based at NMI Port Melbourne FCL. The FCL is a high quality, high demand and complex laboratory operation delivering a variety of important services to a range of government, industry and research stakeholders.
You will report to the FCL Operations Manager and will contribute strongly to the strategies and development activities of the FCL. You will also contribute to broader NMI activities and forums, working collegiately with colleagues from across the organisation.
Key functions and roles for this position include:
- Coordinate daily operations, resources and work arrangements of the FCL to meet safety, quality, budgetary and turnaround requirements
- Develop productive working relationships with clients and staff across the Branch, NMI and Department
- Ensure the Section WH&S and Quality Systems are effective, including reviewing and updating documents, calibrations and training records. Lead the team response to audits and Corrective Actions
- Engender and lead a culture of flexibility, adaptability and Continuous Improvement to enable agile responses to new demands and improve laboratory processes and service outcomes
- Contribute strongly to the strategic objectives and goals of the Branch and NMI, including through cross organisational collaborations and stakeholder engagement
- Prioritise and conduct food chemical analysis without supervision, including efficient operation and maintenance of the Agilent 7700X ICP/MS and Perkin Elmer 8300DV ICP/OES and general chemical testing
- Prepare samples, reagents and standards in accordance to documented and/or standard methods
- Process data using the ‘Results Processor’ for ICPs, in-house Microsoft Excel macros and enter results into Sample Manager (LIMS)
- Check and authorise results of team members
- Complete all necessary documentation in accordance to the Quality manual.
- Report all Quality Control failures or anomalies to the Production Manager.
- Perform routine calibrations of equipment in accordance to the Quality Manual
- Maintain laboratory area clean, tidy and safe at all times.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
In addition, the suitable candidate will have;
- Tertiary qualifications in a scientific field (Science/Analytical Chemistry or equivalent).
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working in an analytical testing laboratory, including supervisory responsibilities
These positions require a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. In no more than 5000 characters (approx. 750 words), provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. You should try and align your application to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Jenny Bruce via email at email@example.com or on (03) 9644 4803.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion and Capability team at Diversity@industry.gov.au for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application. Alternatively please refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the department.