About the team
The purpose of the Australian Space Agency is to transform and grow a globally respected Australian space industry that lifts the broader economy, inspires and improves the lives of Australians – underpinned by strong international and national engagement.
The 10 year plan for the Australian civil space industry is outlined in the Advancing Space: Australian Civil Space Strategy. The Strategy outlines four strategic pillars and seven national priority areas which set a path to triple the size of the national space economy and create another 20,000 jobs in Australia by 2030. Responsibilities of the Agency include: providing national policy and strategic advice on the civil space sector; coordinating Australia’s domestic space sector activities; leading national and international space engagement; supporting the growth of Australia’s space industry and the use of space across the broader economy including through the Government’s flagship space program, the Moon to Mars initiative; administering space activities legislation and delivering on our international obligations; and inspiring the Australian community and the next generation of space entrepreneurs.
In conjunction with the Australian Public Service (APS) Code of Conduct and Values, the Agency has specific values that guide how we conduct our business both internally and externally. It is expected that all staff of the Agency closely identify and embrace these values.
Please visit www.space.gov.au to learn more about the Agency and understand our values.
Our ideal candidate
The successful applicant will be a highly experienced media and communications professional, responsible for leading the Agency’s strategic communications, brand identity, media management and public engagement activities. The successful applicant will demonstrate excellent judgement, stakeholder engagement skills and current working knowledge of the media landscape. You will manage a small, high performing team within a complex and fast-paced environment, juggling competing priorities with a customer-first approach to managing key stakeholders.
You will have strong demonstrated experience in the following:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a proven ability to generate high quality communication and media products with close attention to detail and according to short deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal, collaboration and negotiation skills, including liaising with and developing strong working relationships with journalists, ministerial offices and industry stakeholders
• Providing advice to senior executive on proactive and reactive media and communications issues to protect the organisation’s reputation and brand
• Strong working knowledge of how to navigate the media landscape to achieve strategic objectives
• A strong understanding of communications best practice, including digital communications
• Ability to work to a very high professional standard in a high pressure, complex environment
• Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and circumstances
• Be part of a team that fosters a culture of continuous improvement, teamwork, integrity and respect.
What you will do
• Lead a small, high performing team of media and communications professionals dedicated to excellence, who work across a number of offices
• Manage the Agency’s approach to strategic communications and media activities to achieve reach and impact
• Develop communication strategies to ensure alignment with the Agency’s goals to transform and grow industry and inspire and improve the lives of Australians
• Provide sound advice to the Head and Deputy Head of Agency on strategic and reactive media and communications issues
• Draft, edit and disseminate compelling communication and media products, including media releases, media enquiry responses, talking points, speeches, case studies and digital content, including advertising campaigns across multiple platforms
• Oversee management of the Agency’s digital platforms, including large online content projects
• Custodianship of the Agency’s brand identity, the sub brand of the Australian Space Discovery Centre, and the application of the brand to merchandise and communications collateral
• Oversee public awareness of the Australian Space Discovery Centre in Adelaide as a public institution that provides pathways for young Australians to pursue a career in space
• Oversee management of the Agency’s representation at major events and public engagement activities
• Manage communications market research and performance
• Build strong working relationships and regularly liaise with the Minister’s Office, key journalists and industry stakeholders
• Work within the Office of the Head of Agency to deliver KPIs in line with the Agency’s Strategy
• Embrace and work by the Australian Space Agency values
• Other activities as required by the Agency’s Executive
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a minimum baseline security.
This role is being offered on a full-time, ongoing basis. There will be periods of time where out of hours work will be required.
The Agency Headquarters is based in Adelaide, this position may be filled in other locations. Some domestic travel is required in this role.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, résumé and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
Explain how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch can contain no more than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words) and should align to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current résumé with your application. (Résumés must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Anntonette Dailey on Anntonette.email@example.com.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that builds respect, fosters inclusiveness, promotes diversity, embraces the unique skills and qualities of all our employees and is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining people with disability. If you require some assistance with your application, or need this in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 or refer to our Applying for a position