About the team
The purpose of the Australian Space Agency is to transform and grow a globally respected Australian space industry that lifts the broader economy, inspires and improves the lives of Australians – underpinned by strong international and national engagement. The activities of the Agency are guided by Advancing Space: Australian Civil Space Strategy 2019-2028. The Strategy sets a path to triple the size of the space sector and create up to another 20,000 jobs by 2030.
The Strategy and Policy team is responsible for the development and implementation of the Agency’s national civil space strategy and policies. The team provides policy oversight of the Agency’s programs (including the Moon to Mars initiative!); develops concepts and proposals for new initiatives to support the growth of Australia’s space industries (like space tourism!), and undertakes economic analysis, engagement, consultation and coordination with other Government agencies that operate in the space domain. Check out www.space.gov.au for more information about all the cool things we do.
We are a geographically-dispersed team (Canberra, Adelaide and Melbourne) and we love to work collaboratively, support each other, generate great ideas, seize opportunities, and have a bit of space-nerd fun.
Our ideal candidate
The Agency is a high performing, collaborative and fast moving team. We are looking to fill roles with outstanding candidates who can inspire, work collaboratively and deliver significant outcomes.
To be considered for a role, you will have demonstrated experience and skill in:
• Being an innovative leader (EL1) or team member (APS6) with outstanding interpersonal skills that respects and empowers the team
• Being trusted to deliver
• Excellent stakeholder management skills, including effective engagement across government agencies
• Exceptional written and verbal communications
• Being flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment
• Evidence based policy development and analysis using the application of data, including a sound understanding of government decision making processes
• Sound knowledge of (or ability to quickly acquire knowledge of) the space, aerospace and/or defence industry, or related sectors.
Having some of the below experiences and skills would be highly regarded:
• Project and/or program management
• Experience in government procurement, contract management, legislative, financial and administrative frameworks
• National or international engagement
• Design and delivery of grants or other industry assistance programs
• Research, analysis and information synthesis, including data management.
Successful candidates will embrace and work by the Agency values.
What you will do
Key responsibilities of the roles will include:
• Displaying leadership and providing support within the team
• Providing advice on policies and programs to support the growth of the space industry
• Supporting the delivery of Agency programs and projects
• Engaging with stakeholders (national and international)
• Developing high quality briefs and other documents
• Working within legislative, financial and administrative frameworks to manage contracts and procurements
• Maintaining an excellent understanding of the space sector.
While day-to-day work is anchored in the Strategy and Policy team, the Agency operates in a dynamic environment, and it is expected that successful candidates will flexibly support work in the Agency’s other functional teams where required.
Some national travel may be required and the roles may also require the candidates to work outside normal hours of work (particularly across multiple time zones).
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
These positions initially require a minimum Baseline security clearance. The successful applicants will then be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at the Negative Vetting 1 (NV1) level.
The Agency is looking to create a merit list for future employment opportunities. Roles could be filled in an ongoing or non-ongoing capacity.
The Agency’s headquarters is in Adelaide, however, consideration will be given for roles to be filed in other locations.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch can contain no more than 5000 characters (approximately 750 words) and should align to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Adam Seedsman via email@example.com or on 02 6276 1743.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion and Capability team at Diversity@industry.gov.au for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application. Alternatively please refer to our Applying for a position information.