About the team
The Data Policy Branch resides within the Department’s Analysis and Insights Division. The Division is a high profile, dynamic group that supports our Ministers and the wider department to enable globally competitive industries.
We undertake cutting edge analysis and economic research to determine what’s happening and what might happen in the economy.
Our Branch works in collaboration with our colleagues across the department on a range of data issues. We provide data governance and data management advice, deliver data projects, provide analytical and reporting services, and drive national spatial data policy outcomes.
The Data Capability and Reporting Section leads the department’s efforts to strengthen our data driven culture. We help build data capability across the department through our leadership on data governance, data training and ongoing support for best practice data use and reporting.
We also provide a range of reporting products and tools to Ministers, Senior Executive and the wider department.
Our ideal candidate
We are seeking motivated, outcomes-focused Executive Level 1 employees to lead a small team in the Data Strategy section to undertake a range of reporting functions. Our ideal candidates will possess the following:
Data skills and experience
- Advanced skills in Power BI and/or intermediate level SQL—including the ability to build and refine models, develop DAX measures and build reports.
- Experience in maintaining, overseeing and validating a broad range of large data sets.
- Proficiency in Excel to store and analyse data, including formulas and data manipulation.
Other key skills
- Excellent oral communication skills, including being able to present to Ministerial Offices and the Executive Board.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to produce clear and concise material.
- Demonstrated experience in leading small high-performing teams.
- Ability to successfully deliver complex data products and reports under tight timeframes.
Relevant work experience, tertiary qualifications and/or micro-credentials will also be taken into consideration.
What you will do
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Managing a small team to deliver a range of reporting products to Ministers, Senior Executive and the rest of the department.
- Assisting and training departmental colleagues in integrating Power BI reports and dashboards into departmental systems.
- Developing and contributing to a range of ongoing departmental reporting requirements.
- Maintaining, overseeing and validating data and reports for consistency and quality.
- Applying judgement and critical thinking skills to problem solve.
- Managing diverse stakeholder relationships, both internal and external to the department.
- Preparing responses and coordinating input for senior executive and ministerial briefings in relation to data matters.
- Providing strategic oversight and assisting in the overall delivery of reporting priorities as part of the Branch’s leadership team.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
These positions require a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
We are looking to fill two immediate vacancies within the Data Capability and Reporting Section. A merit pool will be established to fill similar future ongoing and non-ongoing vacancies at the EL1 level should they become available within 12 months from the date advertised.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch can contain no more than 5000 characters (approximately 750 words) and should align to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Tim Beard via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on (02) 6102 9232.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion and Capability team at Inclusion@industry.gov.au for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please contact email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application. Alternatively please refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the department.