About the team
The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) is a joint initiative between the Commonwealth and state and territory governments. It is a standards writing body that is responsible for the development of the National Construction Code (NCC), comprising the Building Code of Australia and the Plumbing Code of Australia.
The ABCB promotes efficiency in the design, construction and performance of buildings and plumbing systems through the NCC and the development of effective regulatory and non-regulatory approaches. We are an influential organisation, with a high performing team and excellent workplace culture.
If the built environment is your passion, there’s no better place to build your career than the ABCB. For more information about the ABCB, visit our website www.abcb.gov.au.
The Digital Transformation group of which this role resides in is a small, highly skilled team responsible for the development, integration and support of the ABCB’s digital initiatives, including its website, NCC Online publication, WaterMark Product Certificate Scheme databases, digital communications channels and the wider ICT environment.
Our ideal candidate
We are looking for a versatile Lead Drupal Developer with experience across the LAMP stack and a keen eye for architecting engaging user experiences.
Reporting to the Director, Digital Transformation the successful candidate will have a good understanding of technical solutions to deliver online services, and an enthusiasm for exploring new technologies and better approaches to enhance service delivery for both internal stakeholders and external end-users.
The role represents an opportunity for someone with great skills who wishes to be part of a multi-disciplinary team and contribute meaningfully to the future of the building industry in Australia, whilst expanding their skillset across a range of disciplines.
The successful candidate should have a high level of competency in developing with and for web technologies, and be comfortable working in a small team and environment where owning the solution at all levels is paramount.
We are seeking someone with;
- Strong working knowledge of PHP
- Strong working knowledge of Drupal 8/9
- Working knowledge of Relational Databases and SQL
- Working knowledge of Search Engine Optimisation
- Working knowledge of Project Management principles
Furthermore, exposure to the following whilst not essential, would be viewed upon favourably.
- Knowledge or exposure to Software Architecture principles and processes
- Exposure to Acquia PaaS & SaaS services
- Exposure to XML Data Models (DITA or comparable)
- Exposure to Secure Development Lifecycle concepts and processes
- Exposure to Scripting Languages
- Exposure to a variety of web technologies.
What you will do
Acting under limited direction, the key duties include:
- Develop, implement and maintain the ABCB’s digital presence.
- Provide principle engineering and code writing in development of digital initiatives, with a focus on Drupal 8/9.
- Provide high level support and perform troubleshooting tasks to test, diagnose, debug and secure web applications to ensure optimal and high availability of services.
- Investigate and analyse innovative web application options to meet strategic initiatives and cyber security improvements.
- Research, plan, develop and deploy new features to our websites and portals, in line with our long-term product roadmap.
- Engage in stakeholder and vendor management, with a focus on translating digital concepts into business benefits and deliverables.
- Apply the principles of APS Values, Code of Conduct, workplace diversity, work health and safety and participative management within a work and team environment.
This role is based in Canberra, but is open to remote work opportunities with flexible hours.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
The position requires a baseline security clearance. The successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Richard Czeiger on 02 6243 7277 or email@example.com.
How to Apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch should be no longer than 3500 characters (approx. 500 words) and should align to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion and Capability team at firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please contact email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application. Alternatively please refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the department.