About the team
The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) is a joint initiative between the Commonwealth and state and territory governments. It is a standards writing body that is responsible for the development of the National Construction Code (NCC), comprising the Building Code of Australia and the Plumbing Code of Australia.
The ABCB promotes efficiency in the design, construction and performance of buildings and plumbing systems through the NCC and the development of effective regulatory and non-regulatory approaches. We are an influential organisation, with a high performing team and excellent workplace culture.
If the built environment is your passion, there’s no better place to build your career than the ABCB. For more information about the ABCB, visit our website www.abcb.gov.au.
The Digital Transformation group of which this role resides in is a small, highly skilled team responsible for the development, integration and support of the ABCB’s digital initiatives, including its website, NCC Online publication, WaterMark Product Certificate Scheme databases, digital communications channels and the wider ICT environment.
Our ideal candidate
We are looking for a skilled Front End Developer with experience theming Drupal sites and a keen eye for developing engaging user experiences. Reporting to the Lead Drupal Developer, the successful candidate will have the ability to translate complex processes into beautiful and functional user interface designs.
The role represents an opportunity for someone with great skills who wishes to be part of a multi-disciplinary team and contribute meaningfully to the future of the building industry in Australia, whilst expanding their skillset across a range of disciplines.
The successful candidate should have a high level of competency in developing in a range of front-end web technologies while having and understanding of the server-side requirements that support digital platforms. They should be comfortable working in a small team and environment where owning the solution is paramount.
We are seeking someone with;
- Strong working knowledge of Drupal 8/9
- Strong working knowledge of PHP
- Experience with development of REST API’s using relevant technology
- Working knowledge of WCAG and accessibility, semantic markup and progressive enhancement principles and techniques
- Working knowledge of Search Engine Optimisation
- Familiarity with JIRA, GIT, agile concepts, test driven development
- Ability to use Adobe CC suite
Furthermore, exposure to the following whilst not essential, would be viewed upon favourably.
- Fantastic attention to detail
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently, or with a team
- Team player with excellent collaboration skills
- Exposure to Secure Development Lifecycle concepts and processes
- Knowledge of progressive web app technologies as well as traditional app development
- Exposure to a variety of web technologies.
What you will do
Acting under limited direction, the key duties include:
- Develop, implement and maintain the ABCB’s digital presence, deploying everything from micro-enhancements to large-scale digital offerings.
- Develop and enhance Drupal themes, incorporating items from the product roadmap and build new feature sets across our websites/portals.
- Design and split test new improvements to our digital platforms, providing a superior user experience for our practitioners.
- Work collaboratively with the Communications team, ensuring the organisation’s brand is effectively managed across its digital channels.
- Apply the principles of APS Values, Code of Conduct, workplace diversity, work health and safety and participative management within a work and team environment.
This role is based in Canberra, but is open to remote work opportunities with flexible hours.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
The position requires a baseline security clearance. The successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Richard Czeiger on 02 6243 7277 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch should be no longer than 3500 characters (approx. 500 words) and should align to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format)
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion and Capability team at email@example.com for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application. Alternatively please refer to our Applying for a position information.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the department.