About The Office
The Office of the Special Adviser on Low Emissions Technology (The Office) sits within the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources (DISER).
The Office has a unique role working with the Special Adviser on Low Emissions Technologies, Dr Alan Finkel, in accelerating the development and commercialisation of low emissions technologies.
- implementation of the Low Emissions Technology Roadmap
- development of annual Low Emissions Technology Statements (the 2021 Statement is available at industry.gov.au/LETS2021)
- identifying practical and project‑based international collaboration and engagement opportunities to advance priority low emissions technologies and economic stretch goals
- supporting and engaging with the Technology Investment Advisory Committee, a group of leading business, industry and scientific experts advising Government on low emissions technologies and
- building relationships and engaging internationally focussing on priority trade and strategic partners.
Our ideal candidate
The Office is seeking a highly motivated, passionate and talented candidate to join the Low Emissions Technology Strategy team.
This is an opportunity to contribute to addressing Australia’s climate change challenges and help to achieve our net zero emissions target by 2050. You will be part of a small, dynamic and supportive team that is driving Australia’s low emissions strategy.
Our ideal candidate will have the following skills, experience and abilities:
- Ability to provide timely and accurate policy advice on complex whole of government challenges
- Comprehensive research, interpretation and critical analysis skills
- Advanced and persuasive written and verbal communications skills. This includes the ability to translate complex concepts into clear products for non-technical audiences
- Ability to be positive and flexible when meeting the demands of a diverse range of stakeholders, both internal and external to Government.
- Experience or ability to engage and brief Senior level stakeholders and Ministers
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with often ambiguous and changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively as part of a team and a commitment to a culture of team work, excellence and continuous improvement
The ability to perform at the EL1 level as described by the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC) work level standard (see below) is required. A background in energy technology and or carbon markets, and/or qualifications in clean energy or related disciplines is desirable, but not essential.
What you will do
As the Assistant Manager in, your role will include:
- leading and drafting key elements of the Low Emissions Statement (LETS)
- engaging with the Technology Investment Advisory Council (TIAC) who advise the Minister for Industry, Energy and Emissions reduction on annual statements. Including providing policy and administrative support
- Managing and building extensive relationships with stakeholders across DISER, other government agencies, academia and industry
- representing the Australian Government in multilateral forums where we play a leadership role, including Mission Innovation and the Clean Energy Ministerial.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
These positions require a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This opportunity is for an ongoing or non-ongoing role. Non-ongoing opportunities will be offered for an initial period of up to 18 months, with possibility of extension.
There are opportunities to consider working remotely. The majority of the team are based in Canberra.
The successful applicants will be assessed against the Australian Public Service (APS) work level standards, and may be appointed at Executive Level 1.
Information on the APS Level and Executive Level classifications can be found on their website: https://www.apsc.gov.au/working-aps/aps-employees-and-managers/work-level-standards-aps-level-and-executive-level-classifications
A guide to the Integrated Leadership System for APS Level 6 and Executive Level 1 classifications can be found on the APSC website: https://www.apsc.gov.au/working-aps/aps-employees-and-managers/classifications/integrated-leadership-system-ils/ils-guide-integrated-leadership-system
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. Provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch can contain no more than 5000 characters (approximately 750 words) and should align to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
Accessible application documentation is available in other formats on request. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Dharmini Robertson, Manager, Low Emissions Technology Strategy Team on 2 6102 8181 or via email at email@example.com.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include full time/part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion team at firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please refer to our Applying for a position information for additional information on how to apply.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the department.