About the team
The Governance and Innovation Support Section handles corporate governance. This includes secretariat and strategic support for the Executive Board and its sub-committees.
The Section ensure key departmental decisions are made by the right people, at the right time and that these decisions are recorded appropriately. This enables the Secretary, as the Accountable Authority to fulfil their obligations under various legislative instruments, APS and departmental policies.
We provide ongoing secretariat and strategic support to innovation program committees overseen by Industry Innovation and Science Australia (IISA).
The Governance and Innovation Support Team are looking to fill roles at the following levels:
- Assistant Manager, Executive Level 1.
- Team Board/Committee Coordinator, APS Level 6.
- Administration Support Officer, APS Level 5.
About the roles
Assistant Manager, Executive Level 1
The Assistant Manager will work independently and manage and lead a small team. Our ideal candidate have personal drive and:
- Have well-developed written communication skills and a strong ability to negotiate and influence.
- Take ownership of the achievements of own and team outcomes.
- Adapt to changing priorities to deliver outcomes under pressure.
- Exercise sound judgement in strategically handling issues as they arise.
- Have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively and effectively engage with key stakeholders.
- Provide high-quality service standards and strives for continuous improvement.
- Recommend strategic directions and improvements for processes and outputs.
- Considers wider agency implications when making decisions and giving advice.
As the Assistant Manager, you will:
- Build collaborative working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders. This includes through joint strategic/business planning exercises with:
- sector, and
- enabling functions across the department
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of program and committee management including:
- overseeing the development and implementation of robust business/financial plans
- processes and
- business outcomes
- Initiate and lead the implementation of best practice committee management and service delivery
- Drafting and approving high quality, timely, written communications including appointment and Senate Estimates briefs
- Reconciliation and approval of claims, payments of members’ remuneration. This includes tracking budget for committee expenditure
- Ensure application of and adherence to committee guidelines and governance arrangements including the review of service standards and strategies
- Management of determinations on committee disclosure of interest processes
- Identify and manage strategic and operational risks in the context of divisional and branch outcomes
- Contribute to building strong, respectful and supportive divisional workplace culture
- Build capability in a team environment through:
- coaching others,
- providing performance feedback
- conflict resolution and
- encouraging career development.
Team Board/Committee Coordinator, APS Level 6
Our ideal candidate is motivated, highly organised and has an eye for detail. They will:
- Demonstrate high quality written, verbal communication and problem-solving skills.
- Have a history of building strong working relationships and effectively engaging with a wide range of stakeholders internal and external to government.
- Be adaptable, resilient and solutions focused in a dynamic environment.
As the Team Board/Committee Coordinator, you will:
- Manage the coordination, logistics and engagement of high-level committees.
- Work across the team to ensure all committees are supported to a consistently high standard.
- Provide advice on policy, program and corporate matters relating to committee business
- Coordinate and maintain meeting schedules, agendas and forward planning
- Ensure application of and adherence to committee guidelines, policies and governance arrangements
- Produce high quality written material and advice, including but not limited to with drafting ministerial briefings, meeting minutes and preparing communications.
- Where applicable, ensure robust disclosures of interest procedures are followed, in accordance with legislation, policies and guidelines, and applied consistently to members and accurately recorded.
- Mentor and guide junior staff.
Administration Support Officer, APS Level 5
Our ideal candidate has:
- Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to identify priorities and risks
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated use of sound judgement and problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
As the Administration Support Officer, you will:
- Provide coordination, logistics and engagement assistance and support for board/committee(s) activities.
- Prepare agendas and relevant board/committee papers
- Schedule meetings and liaise with stakeholders and committee members.
- Provide advice on coordination/logistical matters relating to committee business.
- Draft briefing material, meeting minutes and preparing written communications.
- Maintain membership records and board/committee data bases information.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
The Assistant Manager position (EL1) requires a negative 1 vetting clearance.
The Board/Committee Coordinator (ASP 6) and Administration Support Officer (APS 5) both require a Baseline security clearance.
The successful applicants will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at these levels.
This process is being used to fill immediate vacancies within the Governance and Innovation Support Section.
A merit pool may be established and used to fill future vacancies for 12 months from the date the vacancy was advertised in the Gazette. Non-ongoing vacancies will be offered for an initial period of up to 18 months, with possibility of extension.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch can contain no more than 5000 characters (approximately 750 words) and should align to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
Accessible application documentation is available in other formats on request. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Stephanie West via Stephanie.West@industry.gov.au or on (02) 6102 8232.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include full time/part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion team at email@example.com for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please refer to our Applying for a position information for additional information on how to apply.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the department.