About the National Measurement Institute
We are the Australian Government’s national authority on measurement. We play an important role in the Australian economy by leading, maintaining and regulating Australia’s measurement system. We deliver world-class measurement products, advice and client services and administer the regulatory framework for measurement. Our national measurement standards are recognised internationally and we work to enhance and maintain these standards.
We value the different skills, knowledge and perspectives our employees bring. We’re committed to giving everyone an equal opportunity to participate, contribute and progress. Our values and behaviours centre on being, adaptable, innovative, accountable, strategic, inclusive and influential.
About the team
The Physical Metrology Branch leads the development, maintenance and dissemination of Australia’s peak physical measurement standards. We provide the traceability assurance that measurements made in Australia are accepted internationally. The branch is an active participant in international measurement forums. Through the delivery of a range of calibrations and other measurement services branch staff share their expertise with Australian and international stakeholders. This includes to support research, process improvements, product optimisation and better measurement practice across the economic landscape.
The Electricity Section undertakes advanced research and development that anticipates new measurement technologies and applications, collaborating both nationally and internationally in support of its objectives. The section develops, maintains and disseminates to industry Australia’s primary standards of electrical measurement. It delivers specialised calibration and other measurement services to a variety of clients, including commercial calibration laboratories and government organisations.
The Power Systems Technology group, which is part the Electricity Section, operates the largest high-voltage laboratory in Australia and provides critical services to electrical power industry. The services are divided into three major areas, high-voltage testing and calibration, instrument transformer calibration and contract supply of high-voltage measurement devices. The group now offers over 30 different types of regular testing and calibration services, covering a wide range of devices and a wide range of measurement parameters. The group is expanding its capabilities to meet the increasing demands of the power industry for its test and calibration services.
Our ideal candidate
We seek an electrical engineer/scientist to join the team to work in the area of precision measurement high voltage and high current. You are adaptable, flexible, and ready to learn. You will aim to become a recognised national and international expert in high-voltage and high-current measurement, including:
- Voltage transformers
- Current transformers
- Instrument transformer testing sets.
Attributes of the ideal candidate include:
- A degree in electrical engineering, physics or a related discipline. A PhD or equivalent relevant experience will be highly regarded.
- Experience in developing innovative and complex automated electrical measurement systems, including development of measurement software using platforms such as LabView and VBA.
- Experience in instrument transformers, high-voltage measurement and high-current measurement is highly regarded.
- Experience in developing and maintaining quality systems for providing calibration services, including developing quality system documents.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in relevant stakeholder engagement, such as customer services and publication of research findings in scientific conferences and journals.
- Experience in managing resources, including procurement of major equipment of complex specification.
- Leading by example, demonstrating behaviours consistent with the National Measurement Institute (NMI) Values.
What you will do
- Provide specialised test and calibration services in the area of instrument transformers and instrument transformer testing equipment, completing tests and calibrations efficiently, accurately and to clients’ requirements.
- Build and maintain constructive relationships with clients and external stakeholders, providing advice on technical issues and contributing to training programs.
- Develop, enhance and maintain high-voltage and high current measurement standards and services.
- Contribute to a high performing, inclusive work environment.
- Contribute to the ongoing improvement and maintenance of the group’s quality system documentation and processes.
- Provide high-level scientific and technical support for the operations of the power systems technology team, including contributing to research directions, project planning and resource management.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens.
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
This position is non-ongoing for an initial period of 18 months, with possibility of extension including as an ongoing role.
A merit pool may be established and used to fill future ongoing and non-ongoing vacancies for 18 months from the date the vacancy was advertised in the Gazette.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, CV and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
You are required to complete your application online. Provide a pitch explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. Your pitch can contain no more than 5000 characters (approximately 750 words) and should align to the job description.
You are also required to provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
Accessible application documentation is available in other formats on request. Please contact email@example.com or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Dr Yi Li,
Yi.Li@measurement.gov.au, ph: 02 8467 3586
Learn more about our values
The NMI has invested in identifying and defining six critical values for success for the organisation:
- Adaptable: We embrace new ways of working to meet present and future challenges
- Innovative: We learn from today to create solutions for tomorrow
- Accountable: We each take personal responsibility for what we do, why we do it and how we work with others to achieve NMI’s goals
- Strategic: We navigate uncertainty with clear purpose and direction
- Inclusive: We champion a safe and supportive environment, powered by diversity of thought, experience and culture
- Influential: We create opportunities to promote our value, broaden our reach and increase our impact.
Learn more about the department
The department’s Enterprise Agreement and policies provide for a flexible working environment to assist staff balance their work and home life. Staff and managers work together to balance the operating needs of the work unit with the needs of the individual. Options may include full time/part time working arrangements, working from home or other arrangements as agreed by all parties.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic whole selves to work every day. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, mature age, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people. Please contact our Inclusion team at firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential discussion if you identify with any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
Please refer to our Applying for a position information for additional information on how to apply.
Select the links on the left-hand side of the page for more useful information about a career with the department.