2024 AGGP Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) Graduate Program
Job no: 512455
Employment type: Ongoing
Location: Canberra, Any location in Australia
Categories: Info/Comm Tech (ICT), Accounting, Finance, Policy, Programme Management, Graduate, Economics, Statistics, Legal, Communications, APS Level 3, Administration, Agriculture, Horticulture, Apprenticeship, Traineeship, Arts, Culture, Customer service, Call centre, Education, Training, Evaluation, Audit, Grant Management, Human Resources (HR) and People, Information Management, Library, Intelligence, International, Media Marketing, Medical, Health Sciences, Organisation Leadership, Other Management, Parliamentary Officer, Procurement, Contract Management, Project Management, Property Management / Maintenance, Regulation, Research, Science, Engineering, Technical, Security, Social Sciences, Social Services, Sport, Recreation, Tourism, Trades Related, Transport, Logistics, Workplace Relations, Data
About the 2024 APS Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Graduate Development Program
The Department of Industry, Science and Resources (the department) is partnered with the Australian Public Services Commission to lead the recruitment process for the Australian Government Graduate – STEM Stream. This offers candidates with a Major in Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Mathematics, the opportunity to be considered for a role as a graduate within a growing number of Australian Public Service (APS) agencies who participate in the program.
We offer a number of exclusive STEM focused events and networking opportunities throughout the year to successful participants. Previous events include trips to GeoScience Australia, CSIRO, Parkes Observatory and we intend to expand these trips across Australia.
We value people who have strong communication, teamwork, research and analysis skills, who are adaptable and show initiative and judgment.
Graduates in this stream will have the opportunity to work in one of many APS departments and agencies. If you are successful, you will be offered a job to start in one of the following departments or agencies in 2024:
- Department of The Treasury
- Australia Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Department of Industry, Science & Resources
- Department of Defence
- Tourism Australia
- Department of Finance
- Bureau of Meteorology
- Services Australia
- Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts
- Murray–Darling Basin Authority
- Australian National Audit Office
- Department of Education
- Department of Home Affairs
- Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water
- Australian Communications and Media Authority
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Australian Fisheries Management Authority
Additionally, some of the work STEM graduates may be able to experience include:
- advancing women in STEM strategy
- international and national space negotiations and agreements
- earth observations
- neuromorphic engineering
- chemical and biological analysis
- electro technology
- cyber security
- technology and programming
- software engineering
- spatial analysis
To be eligible for a graduate position you must:
- be an Australian Citizen at time of application
- have completed a minimum of a three-year undergraduate degree in STEM within the last 5 years (completed between 1 January 2019 and 31 December 2023)
- have any relevant overseas qualification recognised by the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR)
- be able to obtain and maintain a Baseline security clearance, and
- be prepared to relocate to Canberra ACT*.
*Most graduate roles are located in Canberra however where the gaining agency has positions available in other locations and graduates have expressed an interest, graduates may be able to work outside Canberra.
How to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information. This includes in your application responses, resume and any other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
We welcome applications through our online system. To apply, please provide response up to 300 words to the following:
- What is motivating you to apply for the 2024 STEM Graduate Development Program?
You are also required to provide your current CV and official academic transcript with your application. (Attachments must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
You will be asked in your application form to preference department and agencies, however if you are not certain which department would be best - your interview process may also match you with others based on their needs.
Who to contact
If you have any questions regarding your application or the recruitment process please contact email@example.com. If you have any questions regarding the Graduate Development Program or the department more broadly, please contact EmploymentPrograms@industry.gov.au.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend