About the department
The department plays a key role in the Australian Government’s agenda to create jobs and build a stronger, more resilient and competitive economy. Our work builds on Australia’s existing strengths, supports businesses to grow, and drives new opportunities for long-term productivity growth and prosperity. The success of the department helps Australia recover from the economic consequences of COVID‑19 and adapt to its ongoing effects. Through our work, we support the government’s economic recovery plan and help to deliver a better future for all Australians.
About the team
The National Measurement Institute (NMI), a division within the Department of Industry, Science and Resources, is Australia's peak measurement body responsible for biological, chemical, legal, physical and trade measurement. Our vision is to provide measurement policy, science and regulation that underpins the economy and wellbeing of Australia.
We value the different skills, knowledge and perspectives our employees bring. We’re committed to giving everyone an equal opportunity to participate, contribute and progress. Our values and behaviours centre around being Adaptable, Innovative, Accountable, Strategic, Inclusive and Influential.
The Analytical Services Branch (ASB) has laboratories in two sites - North Ryde and Port Melbourne. We are responsible for conducting chemical and biological measurement on a wide range of samples (including water, soil, food and pharmaceuticals). Performing a diverse range of tests (including elements, nutrients, organic contaminants and microbiological parameters). We provide analytical solutions and technical expertise for a large set of private sector and government clients across the environmental, food and health sectors, enabling them to meet their business, research and regulatory compliance needs.
The Laboratory Services (LS) team within ASB is a team of approximately 15 staff across two sites – North Ryde and Port Melbourne. This position reports to the ASB Laboratory Operations Manager. The primary responsibility of LS is providing operational, technical and administrative support to the daily activities of the Analytical Services Branch, by receiving and processing incoming samples, liaising with stakeholders and ensuring sample processing is followed correctly from receipt to disposal.
Our department has a commitment to inclusion and diversity, with an ambition of being the best possible place to work. This reflects the importance we place on our people and on creating a workplace culture where each and every one of us is valued and respected for our contribution. Our ideal candidate adds to this culture and our workplace in their own way.
To be part of one of Australia’s premier science agencies working strategically, collaboratively and practically in the interests of Australia.
What’s in it for you?
A great career step into the APS and broader science community including significant opportunity for personal development and networking across industry, government and academia.
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate will have contemporary experience in laboratory management and innovation, including sample handling and administrative processes on a significant scale. They will have experience working in an analytical laboratory that tests for a diverse range of chemical and/or biological parameters. Knowledge of ISO-17025 Quality systems is essential and practical experience with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) requirements for therapeutics highly regarded. Experience with management of samples or articles subject to Biosecurity protocols will also be highly regarded.
Our ideal candidate will have the following skills and capabilities:
- Extensive experience in management and innovation of laboratory operations – in particular lab logistics and administration such as; receipt of samples/sample handling, registration, reporting and invoicing to clients.
- Extensive experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) and other lab based applications associated to the processing of work and handling of lab data.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership in implementing and promoting innovation and continuous improvement and strategic input to work programs.
- A strong history of successful internal and external engagement and liaison with a variety of stakeholders, including suppliers, clients, strategic partners and regulatory bodies.
- Demonstrated accountability for successful development and mentoring of employees, building a strong positive team culture.
- Commitment to achieving organisational goals while promoting a culture of physical and psychological safety, quality and overall wellbeing.
- A work approach and behaviours aligned to NMI’s values of inclusive, innovative, accountable, adaptable, influential and strategic.
- Strong chemistry knowledge (Highly desirable).
What you will do
This full-time position is based at NMI North Ryde or NMI Port Melbourne. In this role you will report to the Laboratory Operations Manager and provide high level and practical leadership in relation to laboratory operations and services; including (but not limited to):
- Assist in ensuring essential business and operational outcomes are achieved for the branch and broader NMI. In a very practical and immediate work area sense; freight management, the supply of sample containers, sample storage, sample preparation, administrative service delivery processes such as reporting and invoicing, ensuring Quality and Safety requirements are met.
- Innovatively ensure work processes are continually improving and accord to Quality Systems requirements.
- Work process management and service delivery via Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and other applications.
- Engage constructively across the branch and with external stakeholders to build trusted relations that enable success for NMI.
- Provide leadership of a cross location team of approximately 12 staff, ensuring the wellbeing, productivity and development of the team.
Key functions and roles for this position include:
- Maintain the LS quality system across both sites and where required provision of consultancy services in order to maintain capability and capacity within NMI’s laboratories.
- Establish best practice laboratory management and identify opportunities for innovation that enhance NMI’s offer and service outcomes, raise productivity and ensure systems compliance.
- Work closely with stakeholders and other sections in NMI including, testing laboratories, business development and customer service to deliver customer value. Manage and oversee Lab Services operations at both North Ryde and Port Melbourne.
- Ensure that NMI complies with Departmental and Government policies, practices, procedures and statutory requirements.
- Actively contribute to a positive and healthy workplace promoting a culture of inclusivity that embraces collaboration, respect and values diversity.
- Actively engage and contribute at a broad NMI organisational level through committees, management forums and representation at events.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, candidates must be Australian Citizens.
In addition, the suitable candidate will have;
- Tertiary qualifications in a scientific field (chemistry or equivalent).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in an analytical testing laboratory.
Positions require a Baseline security clearance and successful candidates will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
A merit pool may be established and used to fill future vacancies within 18 months from the date the vacancy was first advertised in the Gazette.
The department does currently offer flexible work opportunities for many roles. This vacancy is predominantly Laboratory based, although flexible or remote work arrangements may be considered. Please reach out to the contact officer to discuss this further.
How to apply
You are required to complete your application online. In no more than 750 words, provide a pitch (in line with above skills and capabilities) explaining how your skills, knowledge and experience relevant to this role and why you are the best candidate for the position. You should try and align your application to the job description.
Please complete your application online and provide your current CV with your application. (CVs must be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format).
Accessible application documentation is available in other formats on request. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6276 1235 if you require assistance with your application.
Please refer to our Applying for a position information for additional information on how to apply.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Danny Slee via email@example.com or 02 9449 0169.